• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Non kink tubing for the J2 flow mod

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by JCDriller, Mar 28, 2020.

1. JCDriller

JCDriller Well-Known Member Established Member

Hey guys, my cobra has the j2 flow mod mod with a trunk mounted tank. I’m looking to eliminate some of the kinks out of the hose.

Anyone have any ideas for the best course of action or what you used to run your hose??

thanks!

Attached Files:

2. srdigital

srdigital Member Established Member

i found some molded 1" hose at the local parts house and ordered more on amazon for way cheaper. connected them with some billet couplers with 1" hose like yours for the longer runs.

the molded hose can provide 2x 90* bends if you cut them in half. i got 3 of the hoses and 6 couplers - 2 bends for the HE, 2 for the pump, 2 for the intercooler adapter. i'm not using a trunk tank, though.

edit: links are not posting correctly - here's the amazon listing titles of the things i bought:

ICT Billet 1.0" to 1.0" Inch Hose Barb Splice Coupler Repair Fitting Adapter Connector Radiator Coolant Intercooler Heat Exchanger Fluid Designed & Manufactured in USA Bare Aluminum AN627-16A

Gates 21517 Molded Coolant Hose

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Unicoils aka E-Z coils. They're sold on Amazon, Summit Racing, etc. I used a few on my custom intercooler setup and they work great. Keep in mind the size listed is usually the ID of the hose they fit.

GTR-GY34UBP.jpg

4. JCDriller

Thanks srdigital and olympic, those are great solution!

I'll have to look into both. SR do you have any photos of your setup?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  5. biminiLX

biminiLX never stock Premium Member Established Member

If you watch Ken at Palm Beach Dyno’s You Tube channel he had an episode on some quality hose they use for their intercooler builds.
    Never cheap out on hose. Of any variety.
    -J

TP 112 likes this.
  6. JCDriller

That hose is bad ass. It's not on their website anymore, I've reached out to see if they still sell it.

7. srdigital

i'll take some pictures when the rain lets up. the only down side is all the visible hose clamps with the couplers.

8. JCDriller

Yea, this was the way I intended to go, but was afraid of all the clamps. The uncoils if painted black would be OK. However, the hose that BiminiLX posted would be perfect.

However, me being me. I've ordered the Gates hoses, ICT connectors and the Unicoils, plus I've reached out to palm beach dyno for their hose. I'll get all three options and see which I like best.

The gates hose and ICT connectors would likely be the lowest profile if I can control where the hose clamps are at. I think the only visible one may hide under my air filter. If it can't be seen, that's likely the most esthetic way. The clear SBD hose may look off. The uncoil wouldn't look bad if black....

Time will tell.

9. JCDriller

I found a few reinforced tubes today while searching.

The Palm Beach Dyno video shows a clear tube with a clear reinforcing coil.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.36.33 PM.png

On Amazon I've found this one, it's clear with a white reinforcing coil.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.38.57 PM.png

Also here is one with a steel wire

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.37.38 PM.png

I think this is the one from the video, 1700 PVC Hose.
    Food & Beverage - Unisource Manufacturing Inc.

Can be had here for $90 for 40 feet which is likely WAY more than I'll need.
    Series 1700 PVC Food Suction & Discharge Hose

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.58.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 10.58.56 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  10. JCDriller

Ok, after all my looking I found hose that seems like it will fit the bill perfectly. It's PVC reinforced and black so it'll blend in. I found it reading about wakeboarding ballests, these guys say its superflexible and you can't beat it at 1.49 a foot. I splurged for 2 day shipping so hopefully it'll be here on the 1st.

WakeMAKERS Ballast Hose - Black

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.51.04 PM.png

biminiLX likes this.
  11. phil a

phil a Member Established Member

Interesting option(s) you listed

I’m in the same boat soon and was wondering what hose to go with also. Are you doing a coolant crossover delete?

If you hear back from PB about their hose, post what you find it you remember to. The ballast hose looks good too. Something that can make some tight bends without kinking would be great.

Phil

12. BOOGIE MAN

BOOGIE MAN Logic and Reason Established Member

Maybe just me but from the original pic, it looks like that kink is happening because the hose is too long. I think if you could've taken out some of the length it would remove the kink

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

13. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

This quote from their product description is a plus, as well. "An internal helix reinforcement prevents kinking during tight bends for more installation options without limiting flow."

Post up after the installation how this worked out for you.

14. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra AKA slo984now Established Member

For the clamps what about the heat shrink clamps? The ones I've seen are usually black so if you end up running black hose they'll blend in.

15. JCDriller

Good idea, I ordered a few of them. Hopefully with this new hose, I'll only need 4 clamps, 2 per, 1 at each end.

16. *Jay*

*Jay* Tweeker by trade Premium Member Established Member

Looks like I found my first project when my Cobra comes home from storage. I want to swap the IC to tank hose with the clear stuff. I just redid all my lines last summer with silicon hose and pre-fabbed silicon bends so thats gonna stay. Im interested to see how this stuff handles the bends for routing, thanks for finding that site!!!

17. JCDriller

I did order 1 foot of the clear tuning with the black reinforcement, just to test it out for you guys.

it’s all scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

*Jay* likes this.
  18. *Jay*

*Jay* Tweeker by trade Premium Member Established Member

Only issue I see is that I dont have an upgraded IC and my inlet/outlet may be too small for a 3/4 to seal well. I really hope it does tho, nice to have a visual check for the IC pump flow.

19. srdigital

2704F558-07F6-4C7A-AFE9-22DB9C57377C.jpeg 95605D05-669B-4AB6-977F-6DA4A2BDA7ED.jpeg

Here’s mine with the molded hoses and couplers. Please don’t laugh at my tiny reservoir lol. I’m there’s another 90* molded hose on the inlet of the pump and each bung of the H/E

20. JCDriller

Ok, I got my order in from wake masters, everything looks awesome! I thought I ordered a foot of the clear tubing, but I guess I didn't.

Pulled off the old hoses, used a heat gun and a screwdriver to expand the ends a bit on the hose, then slipped it on. I ended up using standard hose clamps instead of shrink wrap versions, due to limited space for the thicker shrink wrap versions.

So far I just got the connection to the engine and one intercooler line hooked up. Tomorrow I'll run it back to the trunk.

This stuff looks great, is flexible enough, but won't kink. So far it's a winner, especially at <$1.49 a foot.

Before:

072691FD-06D0-410B-9A58-10299C271B01_1_201_a.jpeg

After:

IMG_1810.jpeg

*Jay* likes this.